[mythtvnz] Changing Myth channel numbers

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri May 16 01:08:22 BST 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Aaron Pelly <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz>wrote:

> In my head a frequency is assigned a channel number by some authority or
> convention. I want to change the (myth-assigned?) channel numbers so that
> the EPG sorts correctly. Will this break anything?

As Nick said, go for it. I'll add a little detail: channel number
(channel.channum in the database) is only used for selecting a channel in
the UI using the number buttons on your remote. You can set it to whatever
you like or nothing at all. If you have multiple copies of a channel (e.g.
because you have separate video sources for Sky and Freeview) it's best to
give them the same channum but it's not compulsory - the consequences would
be that if the system was recording on one copy of a channel you wouldn't
be able to type its number in live tv and would have to use the other
number; if you give both copies the same number then the system will
automatically use the available channel.

There are other fields that also identify a channel:
callsign is the identifier of the channel as used by the scheduler. If you
have a recording rule that says "record program X on channel Y" then the
scheduler will record it on any channel which has callsign Y (and that has
program X in it's guide data). So if you have multiple copies of the same
channel (e.g. Sky and Freeview) you definitely want them to have the same
callsign.

name is the name of the channel as shown in the UI. You can set this to
whatever you like.

xmltvid is the name of the channel in the guide data. You need to set this
correctly or the EPG won't work. What you should set it to depends on how
you're getting your guide data.

chanid is the database table's primary key and is used for linking tables
together in the database. You'll never even see this unless you access the
database directly.

Cheers,