[mythtvnz] Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Thu May 15 23:36:59 BST 2014

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for years, and you've helped with the odd
question before. Thank you.

I've finally, after 6 or 7 years of good intentions, bitten the bullet
and migrated from GBPVR to myth. I can not begin to tell you what a
pleasure it is to have crossed this off my todo list. I'm a fairly
experienced *nix user, no guru, but I get around no problems. Installing
myth is no walk in the park. Anyway, after a solid day of installation
and troubleshooting it works a treat. Another day experimenting and
setting up preferences and recordings and I've completed the transition.
Awesome.

Anyway, that's the background. Now, as you are aware, googling for myth
info relies heavily on good google-fu. I thought I was blessed with
this, but not on this topic it seems. Maybe my TV lexicon is misaligned
with myth. That should resolve with experience, but in the meantime I
have a few niggling questions. I will post each in its own thread for
later searchability.

/background

I have 2 hauppauge hvr 4000 dvb-s/s2/t cards in my backend (wtf?) I have
only set up two devices; 2 x dvb-s. I have had trouble setting up the
channels. I noticed that one of the discovered Prime channels seemed not
to tune, and caused the frontend (on the server) to hang (error: could
not read first 2048 megabytes) This required killing mythfrontend.real.
Subsequent attempts to watch live TV caused the same issue, presumably
as it attempts to start from the last channel watched. I'm guessing
here. The backend doesn't seem to complain. Maybe I should adjust some
timeout somewhere?

If anyone could shed some light on this, or has a relevant
troubleshooting link handy, I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Aaron.