[mythtvnz] Gnome3, Mythfrontend and xbmc

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:05:38 BST 2014

Hi

On 30 April 2014 18:38, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes it is a strange attitude for an open source project.
>
> They have somewhat ghettoised themselves with various features such as
> storage groups, myth protocol, etc.

I guess I should reply on this one.

IMHO, what you mention here is what makes the most compelling argument
about mythtv.

A central hub for media: TV recordings, videos and now music and
photos, all available across the whole house wherever you have a
frontend.
You start a frontend, and it's all there.

I can start a show on one TV and continue on another... metadata and
artwork all available everywhere. You configure it once.

> Great within the mythtv closed shop, but hard to get onto other
> platforms. The code appears to be the documentation, and it's
> offputting to devs.

I guess it's an issue of limited amount of devs, time and effort...
That and some of the devs (luckily gone) *really* put stuff that could
only be described as "hacks"

> A fuse driver for storage groups would be nice, as would a simple
> explanation of myth protocol.
>
> I mean even windows media centre seems to have better PVR on XBMC than myth.

Everyone is free to develop whatever they wish, there's the libcmyth
project that intend to do just that.

Having said that, I do agree that the XBMC UI from a look and blink
perspective put mythtv to shame. It's just far more polished and
pretty. Being able to do everything on the fly, while the video play
in the background is pretty good (like changing settings, etc...)

But having said that, it takes a much greater amount of remote button
to do something on xbmc. It's very pretty but usability wise I believe
is left to be desired. Navigating is all over the place between
buttons etc...

There's been a lot of talks lately about why should my bother with its
own frontend when xbmc looks so much nicer....

And it always comes back to the same problems: lack of dev, time and will.