[mythtvnz] Possible Good News for all the Raspberry Pi fans here

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 05:23:15 GMT 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just seen this item:
>
> Broadcom has released open-source drivers and documentation for the graphics
> processor that's used in the Raspberry Pi microcomputer, among other devices
>

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/28/broadcom_open_source_driver

Interesting and good to see, although Broadcom doesn't have that great
a reputation for supporting open source, so it'll be interesting to
see where it goes.

I am not sure that RPI has sufficient processing power to so the
mythfrontend gui very successfully, but it certainly works fine with
XBMC, and XBMC nowadays makes a tolerably good PVR frontend (although
again RPI has limitations in the gui department).

Be interesting to see what comes of this open sourcing, although as 4k
and HEVC approaches, it'll be interesting to see if we don't in fact
all crave the next generation of ARM devices that support the required
codecs and so forth.

In fact one wonders whether Broadcom is open sourcing this because it
is in fact an EOL chipset (albeit still highly functional within its
limitations).