[mythtvnz] 8600GT or similar

ajp at cantabrian.co.nz ajp at cantabrian.co.nz
Sun Jun 22 18:23:07 BST 2014

>>Hi All,
>>
>>I've just had my video card melt down, literally.
>>
>>Does anyone have an old 8600GT or similar that works that is not being
used?

>>Or could recommend a replacement.  The PC is old as well, just wanting
>>to get the box running again.
>>
>>We got quite the smell when it stopped !!?? ;)
>>
>>Tim
>
>Smell often equals popped electrolytic capacitors.  In the era of 8600GT
cards, there were lots of bad electrolytic capacitors being used in all
sorts of electronics, especially >computer components.  It can be possible
to replace them, if you are good at soldering.

>Failing that, finding working cards from that era is getting difficult, as
they have mostly already died from bad capacitors by now.  Even if not in
use, the capacitors still die.

>If you are looking for something for the future, this card looks good:
>
>http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auctio
n-742513401.htm

>if a little expensive.  An Nvidia 630 should be able to handle the full
deinterlace modes.  Of the current generation of silent cards, I am not sure
if the 610 chipset will >actually do the full deinterlace, but the 6330
should.

>If you just want any card that can do full deinterlace and are OK with
having a fan, then a second hand Nvidia 220 is probably the lowest spec card
that was made after the >era of bad capacitors and will still be working and
be going to keep working.  There were silent 220 cards made (I have one),
but they are virtually never available second >hand.
>And even second hand 220 cards with fans do not seem to go very cheaply.
And of course fans do die too.

Hi,

I have an ASUS GT610 and get a little tearing at the top of the screen, do
you think the GT630 should be fine as I am not clear of the spec differences
-  I need to build a second box?

I see PB Tech have them for $98.90 inl gst.

Cheers

No virus found in this message.