[mythtvnz] Recordings not happening without a reboot

Worik Stanton worik.stanton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 22:49:03 BST 2014

On 20/06/14 19:25, Nick Rout wrote:
> There are many people using mythtv all over the world, and using it
> successfully. You seem to have an inordinate number of problems.

I am having a lot of problems.

Do not take this the wrong way also, but a lot of people have a lot of
problems with Myth.  I too had a stable setup that ran for over a yaar
(I forget how long).  The problem is that once problems start, because
of Myth TV's huge list of things it does, they multiply like rabbits.

I am a user of a lot of complex computer systems over the years, and
Myth is good, for what its design philosophy is.  (Back in the day
controlling large collections of printers using MS Windows is the worst
example I can think of off of the top of my head, though the IP
protection on the SUN compilers cost a client of mine a day at contract
rates back in 2001).

I think that MythTV has a design philosophy that I am uncomfortable
with.  It is very capable, a wonderful example of a large and complex
system.  And I will keep using it as it is the best there is.  But I
cannot help but think that a 'unix philosophy' would be better.

That would be a collection of programmes that can copy from a digital
tuner to disk, programmes to play those files, a programme to configure
the tuners, a file in which the minimally useful details of those
programmes are kept and the whole caboodle stiched together with cron
jobs would be an improvement.

It would not have all the bells and whistles - the search functions, the
way Myth will keep a search for years and record much loved programmes
after you have forgotten they existed... But it would be easier to set
up and it would be less fragile.

When Myth started, IMO, things were not so simple.  Configuring tuner
cards was the most finicky part of the process IIRC.  In these days of
digital tuners it is one of the simplest parts.

Opinions are easy to have and easy to express.  I will quieten down now
about mine unless I build such a system, and given my workload that is
unlikely!

Cutting my losses and reconfiguring on known good hardware is a much
better approach.

The only true evil is turning people into things....
                                         Granny Weatherwax
       worik.stanton at gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
                          Aotearoa (New Zealand)