[mythtvnz] Recordings not happening without a reboot

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 08:25:50 BST 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com> wrote:

>> So the tuners have stopped working at some point before you notice the
>> lack of recordings.  That is a big symptom.  You need to go back
>> through the logs (including syslog and kern.log) from when recordings
>> fail to see if there is anything about the tuners.  And you should try
>> "restart mythtv-backend" rather than a reboot to see if that gets
>> things working again - it might be the tuners are working but
>> mythbackend is not talking to them.  And check they are still there
>> when the problem happens - do "ls -al /dev/dvb*".  If mythbackend
>> could not see the tuners, it should have been marking all the
>> scheduled recordings as conflicts.
>>

> Restarting myth-backend is what I did originally.  I am 800 miles from
> my box now so I cannot test it but I am fairly sure that was not enough.
>  Which does make it clear I am looking, probably, at a problem with the
> tuners, but the complete lack of log stuff is puzzling.  When I get home
> we will see if the more verbose logs are more revealing.
>

> Perhaps if the tuners are off line myth simply does not bother to record
> until they come back.  Now I am making wild guesses.
>
> What should I be looking for in the system logs/myth logs for the moment
> of failure of the tuners?
>
> lastly my myth set-up is a dogs breakfast.  I moved machines several
> times and each time struggled to keep my recordings.  I have looked on
> the interweb and it does seem that it is more trouble than it is worth.
>  When my NAS gets back from the shop I think I will cut my losses and
> through away all old data and start from scratch.
>
> IMO mythtv is suffering from trying to do far too much, and it is
> therefore much too complex and hence unstable and fragile.  I run an
> apache web-server that does as much complex stuff, but you would not
> know from the trouble it gives me, very little.

Worik, don't take this the wrong way but I detect operator error or
over fiddling.

There are many people using mythtv all over the world, and using it
successfully. You seem to have an inordinate number of problems.

One problem that can arise is that the database becomes a little
fragile when you make a lot of changes to tuners, and channel lineups.
A fresh start is one option. However so is deleting all your tuners
and starting again. Your channel lineups will be kept.

Anyway I suggest keeping everything as simple as possible. NZ has a
very low number of easily recordable channels - freeview. (If you are
using a sky box as well and recording through the 'analogue hole' it
is a bit more complex, and obviously more channels to contend with.)

But freeview only, either -T or -S is a very trivial mythtv setup when
compared to what a lot of myth installations in other markets are
coping with.

Starting from scratch may indeed be a good idea, leverage what you
have learned from your first dip into mythtv. Keep it simple.