[mythtvnz] No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 07:20:20 BST 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:47:51 +1200, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 16 June 2014 05:50, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks,I will try some variation of that.I have HDMI going to the TV then
>>> sound going from that to a high end stereo system.
>>

>> This may not be the best configuration depending on your TV.
>> Few TVs pass anything other than stereo to their output.
>> So you miss out on all the bitstreaming goodness.
>>
>> PC->Amp->TV is more flexible
>

> I have a pure 350 real rms watt stereo system.I built the o/p amp myself.I
> prefer it to so called multichannel systems and their dodgey output power
> claims.

Personally I find well done surround sound one of the joys of watching
modern films (and TV for that matter). Just because a system is 5.1 or
7.1 doesn't make it poor quality.

Of course like all effects it can be overdone or poorly done.

For a good example, try the scene from 'Behind Enemy Lines' where the
missile shoots down the fighter plane. It's only 5.1 (as opposed to
7.1) but is just magic on a good surround system. Do warn the rest of
the family first.