[mythtvnz] No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Jun 15 04:48:25 BST 2014

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:08:38 +1200, you wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:56:33 +1200, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>> Any help?
>>
>> Have you checked to see if there is a mute or low volume control
>> setting in one of the mixers on that channel?  On my laptop, I had to
>> use alsamixer and also a GUI Pulse Audio mixer to make my HDMI audio
>> work.
>>
>Edit:Sorry,typo:
>When I run alsamixer it looks like the volumes for  4 spdif outputs are at
>00 (not MM)
>But I can't increase them as I can with the other outputs.
>Paul

00 is good.  MM means muted.  There should not be a volume control bar
above SPDIF outputs on a mixer as they do not have volume controls.
But of course they are affected by volume controls in the path to
them.  Especially the pesky Pulse Audio - so now you need to install a
Pulse Audio mixer and check that.  Recent versions of Mythbuntu do
install Pulse Audio, although it is not particularly apparent that
they have done it.  I have heard it is possible to uninstall it, but
all I found I needed to do was use its mixer to unmute things and set
the volume settings to maximum.