[mythtvnz] Possibly off topic - HDD recovery

criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Thu Jun 12 08:11:26 BST 2014

On 12/06/14 19:07, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> On 12/06/14 18:09, tortise wrote:
>> Would anyone have experience of or recommend who in New Zealand has good
>> expertise in data recovery from a sick HDD, realising a few hundred
>> dollars will likely be required. The recent Seagate HDD in question has
>> about 10 click cycles on power up then spins down...
>> Much obliged for any advice or experience that may help.
>
> I had a sick server HDD years ago I managed to recover all the data by
> putting it in the freezer over night. Then next day quickly
> transferring everything off I needed as soon as I plugged it back in
> the server. This only works for problems caused be heat obviously,
> helps with worn bearings/shafts that sick giving them an extra thou or
> so to move.

The more you mess about with it, the less likely data recovery will
succeed.
Since its valuable enough to consider spending money on recovery, best
to not do the home techniques like this.

Then again this is the mythtv mailing list - if its just TV data then
buy two new drives.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/