[mythtvnz] Time stretch audio skipping

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Sun Jun 1 06:25:27 BST 2014

It took a while to get back on to this, but it is now fixed. For
completeness, notes are below:

On 27/05/14 15:52, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 27 May 2014 07:56, Aaron Pelly <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> I must admit that in days past this problem was much worse. It has been hard
>> to reproduce this morning. For this example I used 1.3x time stretch and
>> only waited for the first occurrence.
> 1.1 and 1.2 didn't cause the issue.
>
> Only 1.3

The problem was sporadic, and seemingly independent of system load. I
suspect there are some performance bottlenecks other than CPU that I do
not have the skill-set to locate or resolve.

>  From top of my head, as I really have no idea, it does appear to be a
> speed issue, the audio card is starved of data and there are buffer
> underruns. Your CPU usage is fairly high for what you are trying to
> display

I see that. And I do not understand why that would be.

> You are using the "default" ALSA device, which may be just pulse
> emulation, go into Settings Preferences and use a native alsa device,
> browse the list for a hw one

The hardware specific devices do not appear to work for me. I do not
know why. I also do not know if I should care why they don't work. I
think not.

> Try disabling the 5.1 audio upmixer, keeping it stereo

***THIS***
Without upmixing the audio is fine. Again; I fail to see where the
bottle neck was. I am interested, but it is no longer a problem.

> Your screen only supports 60Hz , causing additional work.

xorg.conf is a black art. I will get around to trying to over/underclock
the monitor. That's a whole new thread. And possibly more appropriate on
a linux list anyway.

> Try disabling in your playback profile the extra denoise and hqscaling
> filters, though it's a very powerful video card you have so I doubt it
> will make a difference.

Did not try this. Forgot, sorry.

> also try changing the playback profile from VDPAU High Quality to
> VDPAU Slim or Normal just to see if it makes any difference.

No difference.

Thanks very much for your help guys.