[mythtvnz] Editing/cutting

Duncan Kennington duncan.kennington at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 20:49:22 BST 2014

On 4 August 2014 21:27, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to cut and re-encode some TV recordings from DVB-T Freeview.
>
> Last time I did this was with DVB-S Freeview and I used DVBcut
> followed by avidemux.
>
> Now DVBcut does not handle h.264 and if I import the recordings direct
> into avidemux the following happens:
>
> 1. avidemux will not allow me to 'scrub' through the file with the
> slider to find the cut points, and
>
> 2. Even when I manage to get some cut points and re-encode, the audio
> is out of sync.
>
> Tips?

I haven't tried any of the advice I am about to impart, but in *theory*....
:-)

Myth has (had?) an inbuilt editor in the Internal player.  It's documented
here http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Editing_Recordings

If you transcode a recording with a cutlist it trims the cut parts out.
 This definitely worked well on MPG recordings, so have a go at that.  I
haven't tried it with h264 but it might work?

Another option is OpenShot, reviewed here
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/642577-making-movies-in-linux-with-openshot-
 It's a proper NLE, so far more advanced than avidemux but supports h264
http://www.openshotvideo.com/2009/07/avchd-h264-aac-and-mts-supported.html

Hopefully one or the other will work for you!

Cheers,
Duncan