[mythtvnz] Upgrade/Reinstall tips

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 00:02:17 BST 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com>wrote:

> +1 for mythbuntu if only for the ppa's makes upgrading from 0.25, 0.26 to
> 0.27 very easy
>
> Using raspbmc on an raspberry pi the myth plugin works well, can't say I
> use the scheduler though

I went from 0.25 to 0.27 in my house on Saturday. On the mythbuntu 12.04
machines the update was seamless:

1. (backend only) run /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database to make a backup of
the dB. Stop the backend with sudo service mythtv-backend stop

2. ssh -Y into the machine and run gksudo mythbuntu-control-centre, choose
0.27 in the repositories tab and apply, then quit. Stop the frontend.

3. Using ssh run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -V to
get the new versions (-V gives you a sanity check on versions. dist-upgrade
is needed to get the new myth-lib version.

4. Reboot the backend  machine and check it has upgraded the database OK.
reboot the other machines.

5. In my case recompile my remote receiver's driver as there was a new
kernel installed, and I haven't been bothered creating a proper dkms
solution.

On the machines lingering on 10.04 I did a freesh install of mythbuntu
12.04 and upgraded from there.