[mythtvnz] Upgrade/Reinstall tips

Kenneth Dixon kenneth.b.dixon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 20:38:23 BST 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Rob Connolly <rob at webworxshop.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm gearing up to do a full reinstall of my Mythbox since my nearly two
> year old arch system is feeling increasingly fragile (I haven't touched
> it in months because every time I do pacman breaks something).
>
> The plan is to go completely the other way and install debian
> stable + backports + debian-multmedia. That should hopefully make it
> stable and maintainable for the forsessable future. I've also invested
> in a RAM upgrade and an SSD and after some of the issues I've had with
> HDD write speed (documented on this list), I'm going to ditch LVM+EXT4
> and go with XFS on my RAID 1 array.
>
> As far as I can tell the backup/restore process looks fairly simple for
> myth, just backup/restore the database and recordings.
>
> I was wondering if there are any gotchas I should look out for? Or any
> tips that anyone can pass on to speed up the process?
>
> I'm also hoping to try out XBMC as an alternative to mythfrontend, since
> I see it now has mythtv integration and also integrates with MPD.
> Can anyone comment on how well the PVR functionality works?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob

Hi Rob, I have been running XBMC as a frontend to MythTV for several months
( since Frodo release ) now and have been pretty impressed. I originally
made the switch in order to get accelerated video decoding working on an
AMD GPU and that works fine.
Installation was easy, although you have to to enable the PVR functionality
in multiple places in the settings.
The number of plugins is vast and the quality is generally pretty good ( I
would recommend Youtube and 'Youtube Channels' )
The PVR functionality looks to work fine, however I use MythWeb to do
scheduling so can't speak for how well it works via the main interface.
Live TV has worked fine the few times I have used it.

Good luck with your new set up.

Ken.