[mythtvnz] HD HomeRun vs HVR-2200 for DVB-T?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Sep 8 23:56:37 BST 2013

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 07:36:20 +1200, you wrote:

>On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 08:00:43 +1200, you wrote:

>> my

>> >I'm in a fringe area (50km from the transmitter,no line of sight) and
>> >experience occasional pixellation during rain and high winds (mainly due
>> >to nearby tree movement).
>> >Both the HVR-2200 and HDHR are about the same for this and about 80% as
>> >stable as my Panasonic TV.
>> >
>> >Paul
>>
>> Does your HDHR have dual tuners?
>

>All HDHRs have at least two tuners. The older ones have two antenna inputs
>so no internal splitter, but you need an external so same problem either
>way.

No, you have missed the point I am trying to make - it is not the same
problem at all.  With two inputs and no onboard splitter, you would
use an external splitter with the correct number of outputs for all
your devices, say two for the HVR-2200 and one for the TV, and all
three get the same signal level, a bit less than one third of the
input signal.  If you have an HVR-2200 with one input and an onboard
splitter, you use a two way external splitter and the TV gets just
under half the aerial's output signal level. But the HVR-2200 also
gets just under half the aerial's signal level at its input, which it
then splits so each HVR-2200 tuner winds up with well less than one
quarter of the aerial's output signal level, versus the TV with just
under half the aerial's signal level.  The problem is that a dual
tuner device has an internal splitter that you are forced to use in
series with any external splitter - so any tuner on a dual or multi-
tuner device will always get much less signal than your single tuners.