[mythtvnz] TV and monitor on one PC. Sane?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 01:42:05 BST 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Hadley Rich <hads at nice.net.nz> wrote:

> On 09/10/13 11:32, Aaron Pelly wrote:
>
>> I have a mate who's interested in a PC running ubuntu and myth. Which
>> should be reasonable. The PC will probably be in close proximity to the
>> TV, making an HDMI cable plausible. I'm wondering if myth will happily
>> run on one monitor, the TV, while his other monitor is used for general
>> computing. Further to this, for lounge chair use, can a remote be set up
>> for either just the TV monitor, or just myth?
>>
>> I hope this is clear. I'm sure I could set something up along these
>> lines for him, after some research, but I don't need to reinvent the
>> wheel if you guys already know of similar solutions. The guy is
>> reasonably tech savvy, and happy to fiddle a bit. WAF is not an issue.
>> But anything that's too high maintenance probably won't be acceptable.
>>

> I've done this before and it wasn't that fun.
>
> I set it up as dual screen and there were issues with focus and
> applications wanting to use the wrong screen and such.
>
> It may be better with multiple X displays but you may also run into issues
> with acceleration, I don't know I haven't tried that way.
>
> Regardless, it's a vastly more complex a set up than separate boxes. It
> will work, you just have to decide whether you are happy to deal with all
> the issues or not.

I run vnc for remote access to my myth box and it is essentially just a
separate X server. It works well. So one option would be to set that up and
use a cheap terminal (e.g. a Raspberry Pi) to access it.

If I didn't want to do that I'd still set it up in much the same way
separate X servers for the desktop and the TV. I believe it'd require two
graphics cards (or onboard + discrete). This is also probably the easiest
way to keep input devices separate.

There are some other options here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Running_MythTV_Dual_Headed but the info there
looks fairly old.