[mythtvnz] Raspbmc doesn't quite cut it as a mythtv frontend.

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 08:39:53 GMT 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 18:23:50 +1300, David Tildesley <davotnz at yahoo.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
> I meant it as FYI only. I am not interested in further pursuing raspbmc
> mythtv plugin route - I was just curious and had an opportunity to try it is
> all (it wasn't the purpose of buying the raspberry pi) and thought others
> could be saved the bother of going down that route (don't is my
> recommendation).
>
> It's a pain though trying to find a good low cost, adequate front-end
> hardware with the noise free, small size attributes especially in NZ.
>
> David.
>

> I know very little about this subject,but I did come across this sometime
> ago:
>
> Rasplex

Now you really are getting OT LOL. Plex are a bunch of pricks IMHO.

The advantage of plex is that it has very good metadata scraping, and
that it will do automatic transcoding, so you can watch your videos on
low powered (graphically speaking) devices, and over low bandwidth
links (like when away from home).

The disadvantage is most of the clients and server are closed source.
The only opensource client I am aware of is the PC client that is a
fork of XBMC.

Also most of the best parts of their services are now pay per month.

If you want the features of plex in an opensource project try
mediabrowser3 http://www.mediabrowser3.com/ - they are developing a
linux version. It is .NET so expect mono to be required. Looks very
promising. There is an xbmc addon in development.

I know this is OT Mythtv in NZ, but I guess you guys and gals are into
your media, however delivered? Personally I use myth for recording and
watching TV only now, ripped media gets xbmc.