[mythtvnz] XBMC as a mythtv front end.

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 02:27:33 GMT 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 November 2013 09:09, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Nightly builds has 0.27 support, there are working on having binary plug ins being upgradeable between releases
>>

>> On 22 November 2013 23:57, David Tildesley <davotnz at yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> Appears to do a good job. Supports up to  v 0.26
>>>
>>> At last - now I can play recordings on my windows desktop. Tried VMWare player running Ubuntu guest with mythtv frontend but gave up trying to get the sound to work.
>>>
>>> Tip- don't change the "port" setting in the xbmc mythtv plugin config - it is not referring to the database port.
>>>
>>> David.

>> --
>> "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. " - Calvin

> The libcmyth plugin works with 0.27. That said, I still prefer
> mythfrontend for TV, videos and recordings. Sure XBMC looks nicer and
> has smooth transitions etc, but it feels less efficient as a PVR
> frontend to me, and in my experience is less responsive menu wise. I
> guess I jsut prefer the focussed cleanliness of mythfrontend, but to
> each their own.

Up until recently I was running mythfrontend for TV and xbmc for
ripped videos (be they movies or tv series). I like xbmc's metadata
handling, the wide variety of addons, lovely skins and whatnot. I
start xbmc from a menu item I installed into mythfrontend.

Now that the xbmc mythtv pvr addon is working well (I compiled my own
0.27 frodo version, if anyone wants it let me know. 64 bit ubuntu
precise compatible) I often find myself playing recorded TV via xbmc
rather than exiting xbmc back into mythfrontend.

XBMC however lacks proper scheduling, I haven't been satisfied with
it's recording options at all and definitely revert to myth (or
mythweb) for that.

But when I sit down to watch the News with my dinner on my lap, I just
use whatever the kids left on the screen last.

Presently I run all this on mythtbuntu based frontends. However I
really love Openelec, a well polished XBMC 'appliance' distro. I have
tried to build mythfrontend as an addon for it a number of times, but
it is still a work in progress. If I can make that compile properly I
will trial at least one machine with openelec plus mythfrontend as an
addon to that, which is kinda the converse of the current situation.