[mythtvnz] Price estimate for new system

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 02:15:05 GMT 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 November 2013 13:50, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Robert Fisher <robert at fisher.net.nz> wrote:
>>> Maybe I should bite the bullet and do this properly.
>>> I will give you a call Nick to have a beer and check out your system.
>>> A backend in the garage and multiple frontends might be the way to go.
>>
>> That would be my approach :)
>>

> I think you just want the beer! :)

Robert and I have had many beers. I helped him install his first
distro, or was it his first gentoo install. Something like that! Too
long ago to really remember the details.

> A separate box is a good idea - more options, plus you will probably
> want to run laptops etc as separate frontends... why limit yourself to
> just one screen in the house when you want to watch something
> different from SWMBO !

Plus the frontend _can_ crash and you really don't want to reboot the
backend while something is recording. The recovery is quite graceful,
but still a PITA.