[mythtvnz] Best Format for a 3TB?

criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Mon Nov 11 19:19:50 GMT 2013

On 11/11/13 23:43, tortise wrote:
> Hi
> Using Mythbuntu 10.04 I have attached a HDD to backup recordings to
> (to create space...), a recent 3TB drive formatted ext4 gives a
> warning that the partition is misaligned by 3072 bytes.  It seems
> healthy but is reported as largely full, however I am not convinced it
> is because a 12G file seemed to copy across still.
> I'm going to format another, and maybe see what copies across.
> The question I think I need to ask is what format should I use for the
> new 3T drive, however I am open to suggestions that I may not be
> asking the best question here!
> In anticipation many thanks!
Its not the filesystem, its the start and end locations of the
partition.   Since you're offset by 3k on a disk with 4k sectors, to
read a 4k sector then it has to read 3k then 1k from the next block to
get a full block.

TO FIX IT:
So you need to run gparted to delete and recreate the partition, then
put a filesystem on it with mkfs.ext4.
This will lose all the data on the partition unless you copy it
elsewhere and back afterwards.

fdisk is not suitable because it makes the 4k alignment problems hard to
calculate.
This is a problem with all disks that use 4k blocks, more common on
large drives.  Its not specifically related to any 2TB limit.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/