[mythtvnz] HTPC Configuration for combined front/back end

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Nov 8 08:48:18 GMT 2013

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 18:01:34 +1300, you wrote:

>Nick Rout wrote, On 11/08/2013 02:23 PM:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Alex Marshall <alexmnz at yahoo.com
>> <mailto:alexmnz at yahoo.com>> wrote:

>> Hard drive: Western Digital Green WD20EZRX Hard Disk Drive, 2000GB,
>> 5400-7200rpm, 64MB Cache, SATA 6 Gb/s
>
>Good luck with the smelly green drives.  I hear they're "much better"
>now which fills me with no confidence.

That sounds like you have had problems with green drives.  I have
quite a few of them, so I wonder if you would care to expand a little.
I have one old 1.5 Tbyte WD15EADS drive that has just popped up 479
reallocated sectors, but it is quite old (bought 21-Apr-2009) and has
been running 24/7 for most of its life.  For a fairly cheap drive,
that is not too bad a lifetime.  The others are six more recent 3
Tbyte WD30EZRX drives of varying ages, and they are very good
recording and storage drives at a very reasonable price.  But if they
are going to die early, I would prefer to know ahead of time.