[mythtvnz] HTPC Configuration for combined front/back end

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 03:20:03 GMT 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Bruce Wilson <acaferacer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 November 2013 12:57, Alex Marshall <alexmnz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi Thanks for all your responses to my first ever post. Very helpful.
> >
> > I am looking at hardware configuration now. So for a combined front/back
> end running MythTV and potentially MythWeb in the future.
> > TV recording and watching only and must do HD to my Panasonic Vierra
> through HDMI.
> >
> > Case:  Antec New Solution NSK 4000-B II Mid Tower Case, Black/Silver
> > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Motherboard, Socket AM3+, AMD 760G,
> 2xDDR3, 1xPCIe-16, 1xPCIe-1, VGA, DVI, RAID, M-ATX
> > CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6 GHz, Socket FM2, Trinity
> > Hard drive: Western Digital Green WD20EZRX Hard Disk Drive, 2000GB,
> 5400-7200rpm, 64MB Cache, SATA 6 Gb/s
> > Memory:  G.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL, 2x2GB, DDR3-1600,
> PC3-12800, CL9, DIMM
> > Keyboard:  Logitech Desktop MK120 Keyboard & Mouse, USB, Black
> > Power supply: Silverstone Strider Essential ST40F-ES, 400W ATX PSU,
> Active PFC, Black
> > TV Tuner:   Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2210
> > TV Tuner Card 2: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1110
> >
> >  My questions are as follows:
> > 1. This seems quite expensive to watch and record TV how can I cut the
> cost
> > 2. Was thinking of dropping storage to 1TB as only using PC for one
> purpose. Is this enough
> > 3. Do I need a Video card for playback or will onboard graphics
> processor on CPU cope
> > 4. Will this set-up be quiet enough for the living room.
> > 5. Does anyone have a better configuration using parts I can still buy
> now.
>
> Hi,
> Can do a working setup for cheaper
>
> HP XW4600 Workstation Intel Dual Core
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/auction-658948479.htm

Yes well you are going to do better with second hand! Also that machine has
a 73GB hard drive which you could install the OS on and have a separate
drive for recordings, which is a much better arrangement all round. Also
has 5 internal and one external sata connector. Hell I might buy it myself!!

> Galaxy Geforce GT630 2GB DVI, HDMI, VGA
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-659472452.htm

Has a fan :(

> Hauppauge DVB-T Card HVR 2200
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/other-pci-cards/auction-658948699.htm
>
> + a 1 to 2 TB drive of your choice.

I am pretty sure 3TB might be the sweet spot now.