[mythtvnz] Hello from Newbie

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 00:14:47 GMT 2013

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:53:34 +1300, Alex Marshall <alexmnz at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this but am intending to build a HTPC to run MythTV on
> Ubuntu 12.04LTS.
> I am currently in my research phase but have quite a few questions I
> would like to ask.
> Not sure of the correct etiquette but what I will do is outline what i
> am trying to achieve and then ask a couple of questions.
>
> I am currently using Sky HD for my TV and do not have a computer at home
> as I just use my work laptop.
> I want to get rid of sky and use a PC primarily to record and shift TV
> (must do HD). I am going to buy another PC to use for web->surfing, bit
> of Android development, project work, music, etc.
>
> I have a DVD Home theatre player and PS3 to play Blu-ray so really only
> interested in playing TV through HDMI to my
> Panasonic Vierra TV (supports full 1080p).  I have two aerials in my
> house an old UHF (never got a good picture on this) and >currently use
> the satellite dish from Sky.
>
> So
>
> 1. Which aerial should I use for HD recording DVB-T or DVB-S.
> 2. I am thinking of running front-end and back end on one computer in my
> living room dedicated to TV. Is this a good option and can I >keep this
> quiet enough.
> 3. Can I post a hardware spec for advice on whether this set-up will
> cope with both front-end and back-end for my requirements,
>
> Thanks,
>Alex Marshall
> Mob: 027 444 0759

I do pretty much the same as you are wishing to do.
I have a Panasonic Viera and use a Gigabyte GT 430 video card to feed
audio/video via HDMI cable to it.
I use DVB-T and recommend a HD Homerun for the tuner as well as a
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 this will allow you to cover all three DVB-T
multiplexes and have no conflicts in your shedules.
My system is also a combined BE/FE and is acceptably quiet with low noise
fans
My mother board is an Asus P8H61 MLE with  dual core Intel G620 CPU 2.6
MHz - low end stuff,but it does the job very well.I have had no hardware
issues at all.

Paul