[mythtvnz] Commercial flagging / skipping

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed May 29 03:23:36 BST 2013

On Wed, 29 May 2013 13:44:25 +1200, you wrote:

>> On 29/05/13 10:21, Steve V wrote:
>> > I ended up removing all commercial flagging jobs, there wasn't much
>> > point having the backend grinding away to create flagged recordings when
>> > the result was very inaccurate.
>>
>> Ditto. I canned commercial flagging a couple years back and haven't
>> re-enabled it since.
>>
>> hads
>
>I have it enabled, and find that more often than not it fails to detect the
>ads. When it does detect one, the skip button works correctly. At times it
>will flag an ad where there isn't one, so automatic skipping is not advisable.

That is pretty much my experience too, with the H.264 channels.  The
Sky MPEG2 channels can be better, but it depends on the channel.  Last
time I tried, some worked OK (most ad breaks flagged), but some were
as bad as the H.264 ones.  And since I could never remember which
channels work and which ones don't, I just fell out of using ad
skipping.  I have not tried again since I switched over to recording
Sky digitally full time a couple of weeks ago - it would be worth
trying again to see if that has helped.

What would help would be to have the key that goes back to where you
started an ad skip from on my remote, but I have never gotten around
to doing that.  If I had that key, I could just press it when an ad
skip did not work to get back to where I was and skip forward again
manually.  But to do that at present I have to get my keyboard, so I
tend not to try ad skipping because there is too high a chance I will
end up in the wrong place and have to spend a lot of time getting back
to where I should be.