[mythtvnz] Hauppauge HDPVR My Experience

Tim Lockyer drtimlockyer at gmail.com
Wed May 1 22:04:35 BST 2013

 Since setting up Mythbuntu some years ago I used a Hauppauge *WinTV*-*PVR*-
*150 **PCI* capture card connected to my SKY box. Over several years I
became increasingly dissatisfied with the quality of the video capture. In
particular I was not able to get full screen on many channels for some
reason. I recently changed to a Hauppauge HDPVR and changed my box for a
SKYBOX F3. Both are working well. No problem setting up the HDPVR in
MythBuntu. I was however unable to get the YPbPr connection between the F3
and the HDPVR to give the results I wanted. As a result I added a HDMI to
YPbPr Video converter connected between the F3 HDMI output and the HDPVR
YpbPr Input which added to the cost. The latest Firmware Driver and Kernel
needs to be used, otherwise there is a problem with Over-saturation see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR.

 The file sizes have reduced significantly:

 *WinTV*-*PVR*-*150 **PCI **= Are you being served 33 minutes 1.18 GB =
0.035757 GB per minute.*

*HDPVR = Are you being served 33 minutes 0.47 GB = 0.0142424 GB per minute.*

 The above is without any additional transcoding. This represents about a
50 percent saving on disk storage. I do however run the F3 at 480p which is
definitely not high definition. The results are perfectly acceptable on my
42 inch screen. I did run a test of TV One and HD it came out at 0.02694 GB
per minute. However had nothing to compare this result to.