[mythtvnz] No sound other than in MythTV

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 21:54:12 GMT 2013

I have the common problem of no HDMI sound for browsers,media players etc.
but Mythbuntu has always been OK.
I've made yet another attempt to find a fix for this.
My system doesn't appear to have an .asoundrc or asound.conf file so I
created /etc/asound.conf containing:

pcm.!default {
       type plug
       slave.pcm {
               type hw
               card 1
               device 3
       }
  }

Based on the output of aplay-l:

myth at myth:~$ aplay -l
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD
Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

NVidia device 3 is what is selected in Myth frontend and that works.

I have tried to get system sound to work via HDMI with ALSAmixer but so
far have had no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul