[mythtvnz] Choice TV - how to avoid repeats? (EPG pretty hopeless)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 22:12:30 BST 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:06:08 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>> >I use tv_grab_nz-py and the Choice TV data is pretty low grade. The
>> channel
>> >repeats shows 2 or 3 times a week, and the description info is very
>> generic.
>> >
>> >Take an example: Urban Secrets is on Monday 7.30, Tuesday 4.00 am and
>> >Tuesday 10.00 am. The description is generic, ie no episode sepcific
>> info:
>> >"There are secret places, unknown history and great characters that lie
>> >buried behind the everyday and tourist trails. Each episode of Urban
>> >Secrets takes viewers on a stunning and intriguing... (G)" It is much the
>> >same on their website.
>> >
>> >So how the hell do I avoid recording every showing of every episode and
>> >taking up 3x too much disk space?
>> >
>> >(Probably easier to download it, at least internet pirates properly name
>> >their files!)
>>
>> Actually, the EPG on ChoiceTV is excellent - the best of any of the
>> channels I watch.  Although they do occasionally miss doing it (or put
>> the wrong values), normally they provide the right fields to mark all
>> programmes with series and episode numbers.  If you find one of the
>> three Urban Secrets for this week, and then use the I command twice to
>> go to the "Program Details" screen, you will see that it shows a
>> "Programme ID" with a value of "USEC01_01".  That breaks down as
>> "USEC" = the code for "Urban Secrets", which will never change, "01_"
>> is the series number and the final "01" is the episode number.
>

> OK I saw that in mythweb just after I posted.
>

>>  MythTV
>> uses that data (if provided) in preference to all other methods in
>> deciding what is new and what is a repeat.  So just tell it to record
>> all of Urban Secrets and it will work just fine.
>

> I'll try that and see what happens.

OK I set it to record any time and it reports that it will record the first
of the three next week, the other two are recognised as being set to record
"earlier".

I will wait until the data for the subsequent Monday/Tuesday arrives to see
if it will then recognise it as another episode, despite the repetitive
description, and lack of subtitle.

Thanks for the help.