[mythtvnz] Mythfrontend fails to connect to database

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 22:58:59 BST 2013

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:50:00 +1200, Steve Holdoway
> <steve at greengecko.co.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 17:38 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Stephen Worthington
>> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>         On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:30:28 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>>         >On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Stephen Worthington <
>>         >stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>         >
>>         >> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:42:42 +1200, you wrote:
>>         >>
>>         >> >On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:44:48 +1200, Stephen Worthington
>>         >> ><stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>         >> >
>>         >> >> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 07:58:07 +1200, you wrote:
>>         >>
>>         >
>>         >Don't make it complicated. In ubuntu mythfrontend is a
>>         wrapper script that
>>         >starts the mythfrontend binary, which ubuntu rename to
>>         mythfrontend.real.
>>         >
>>         >Put the delay in /usr/bin/mythtfrontend.
>>

>>         I thought of that, but if you put the delay in there, then you
>>         will
>>         get the delay every time you start mythfrontend, rather than
>>         only at
>>         system startup.
>>
>> True, that would be annoying. But on a perfect system you'd never
>> restart anyway :)
>>
>> Putting a delay in there would at least prove what is needed, and OP
>> could move to a more sophisticated fix later?
>>
> Putting in a delay is always a bodge. Why not run a test loop trying to
> connect first, waiting a second after every failure. After success, move
> on??
>
> That way it won't break again in the future.
>
> Sorry, the grumpy sysadmin speaks (:
>
> Steve

I noticed that after stepping back (with ESC) from the locale setup screen
that appears after the FE fails to start,there is a notification that 'The
Frontend crashed unexpectedly with an exit code 130'.
So I googled exit code 130 and found this thread:

http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/topic/46198-cannot-connect-to-database-on-startup-but-works-manually/

> "I think you're right about it being a timing issue...

> I went into the second database config screen from the front end (Setup
> > General > page 2/2) and enabled the following:

> Enable database server wakeup: enabled (default is disabled)
> Reconnect time (secs): 1
> Retry attempts: 10
> Wake command: <empty> <-- presumably it uses whatever is the default".

I copied the same setup and ,so far it seems to work.
I also found 'listen on link-local addresses' checked and unchecked it.

Paul