[mythtvnz] Question about quality from satellite

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 14:15:31 BST 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM, <ajp at cantabrian.co.nz> wrote:

> I have recently upgraded my frontend with it now capable of full HD and
> it’s great.****
>
> ** **
>
> I only record satellite in and it seems some recordings appear to be
> higher resolution or better quality than others. I am kinda theorizing that
> the good recordings are ones that are actually going out to terrestrial as
> full HD and obviously scaled back to SD because we don’t do DVB-S2 yet –
> but it’s just a theory J

The quality of the source is one factor, though better quality recordings
may not necessarily have been HD content - there is a huge range of quality
just in the SD realm. Another is that the transmission bitrates are not
necessarily identical from channel to channel. This used to be very
apparent on Sky where some channels looked terrible compared to others.

Cheers,