[mythtvnz] Backend Motherboard

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 04:01:28 GMT 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a low powered motherboard, and want to update it to something that
> will do some heavy transcoding and other bits. I don't see any reason not
> to use the current case and most of the drives.
>
> I'd like to buy a motherboard, cpu, ram bundle already assembled, (because
> I am crap at plugging stuff into motherboards - something always seems to
> break) some computer shops sell them. Computer Broker in ChCh used to do
> them but they seem to have closed down.

Need as many sata ports as possible (6 or possibly 8), multi core cpu
> (i5/i7?), 4G+ RAM. Bonus if it is very low power.

Not sure where to buy pre-assembled motherboards, however I'll recommend
the MB I recently put in my fileserver: ASRock B75 Pro3-M. It's a micro ATX
board - the case I have will take a full size ATX board but it cuts down
the number of usable drive bays. It has 3 SATA3 (6Gbps) and 5 SATA2 (3Gbps)
connectors and supports hot plug.

Cheers,