[mythtvnz] mythfilldatabase not working as a cron job

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 06:47:41 GMT 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:16:38 +1300, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> My listings were not updating unless I ran mythfilldatabase  from the
>> command line.
>>
>> So I added it as a @daily cronjob.
>>
>> But it still will not work unless I runit from the command line.
>>
>> No biggee, I can log in and do so, but daily.
>>
>> I have seen a lot of people having problems with listings data but I do
>> not think I have seen anybody reporting exactly >>this problem.
>>
>> I imagine it is some sort of environment problem.
>>

> why are you running it at all, via cron, commandlineor anything.
> mythbackend will trigger it once a day when you have it set >up properly.
I had the same problem.In my case it was because I had tv_grab_nz-py in
the home directory.when I put tv_grab_nz-py in /usr/bin MythTV ran it
successfully,automatically.

I followed these instructions from Mike Brady:

"These are the notes that I made when I setup my system last year on
Centos 6. Your mileage may vary.

1) Download tv_grab_nz-py from http://nice.net.nz/tv_grab_nz-py/

2) Copy tv_grab_nz-py to /usr/bin. Make sure that it is executable.

3) Configure it. Note that the configuration file name must match that
name of the video source
configured in mythtv-setup for the mythbackend/mythfilldatabase to use
this grabber.
tv_grab_nz-py --configure --config-file ~/.mythtv/<video sources
name>.xmltv

4) To see if the xmltv side of things works run
tv_find_grabbers

This should return a list of all the installed grabbers, which should just
be tv_grab_nz-py.

5) To see if the myth side of things works run
mythfilldatabase
Pay close attention to the output of this. If it looks like it worked, the
MythWeb status page should also show a successful run.

6) On the master backend run mythsetup and
a) In Video Sources set "New Zealand (py)" as the grabber for your Video
Source.
b) In General, on the Mythfilldatabase page (its the last page) enable
"Automatically run mythfilldatabase".
Configure time, frequency, etc to suite. Now Myth should use tv_grab_nz-py
to update EPG periodically.
The MythWeb status page shows when it was last run and what the results
were."

-Paul