[mythtvnz] LVM alternative to span multiple HDs

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Tue Feb 19 02:40:31 GMT 2013

I'm sure this has come up on the list, and I can't remember the name of
the technology. Appears my Google Foo isn't good enough as I keep getting
suggestions for UnionFS or LVM.

If I've two pools of storage (each Raid 1 under the hood), I want to share
them as a single unified filesystem over NFS/CIFs etc.

Eg

/mnt/archive1/
/mnt/archive2/

I want a virtual mount point that shows all files and directories.
/mnt/archive

Any fresh writes will be placed on one of the underlying filesystems.

Now UnionFS can do some of this, but there is a really simple alternative,
whose name I currently can't remember.