[mythtvnz] Recording dropouts and disk performance...

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 08:48:01 GMT 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

> I do find it odd that a Raid 1 system is so slow - my Raid 5 system, which
> in theory is 1/4 the speed (at best!) handles 8 simultaneous recording OK
> with a mixture of DVB-T, DVB-S and analog off a set=top box.

RAID1 and RAID5 have theoretically identical write performance - the same
as the speed of the slowest disk. In practice it'll be slightly slower just
because there are more disks involved.

If it's only happening with multiple recordings then it probably is a
performance issue. But it's unlikely to be the disks themselves. I've had
as many as 3 recordings plus the database writing to a single disk without
issue (admittedly only SD, but also an old disk with relatively lower
performance by modern standards). Personally I'd suspect LVM, and I must
ask, why are you using LVM at all?

Cheers,