[mythtvnz] [OT] Home Automation

Craig Whitmore lennon at orcon.net.nz
Tue Aug 20 01:06:57 BST 2013

There are already lights which are remotely controllable. (I already have a
number of them and hopefully get my entire house with them) (a third of my
house has them).  Just remove your existing bulbs and put the hue ones in.

The Philips HUE Bulbs/ Hue Lamps and new HUE LED Strips are all dimmable
(and colour changeable) via remote control via simple json commands to the
controller.

XMBC already has plugins which do various things such as dim all the bulbs
when a movie starts or change the colour of the philips stuff depending on
what is playing and would be easily programmed for MythTV (I've not looked
if someone already has written something). They also have IFTTT integration
(i.e. Turn lights on lounge when it gets dark or flash the lights when
someone tweets you etc)

You can go for a cheaper lights such as the limitless led stuff but you can
only control them all together with 1 colour and having multiple rooms means
multiple controllers

- Craig