[mythtvnz] Help-can't get grabber and mythfilldatabase to work right

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 05:59:09 BST 2013

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 14:01:22 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> [...]
>> I don't appear to get any file not found errors in the mythfilldatabase
>> terminal output.
>>
>> -Paul
>
> The tv_grab_nz.py grabber does not download the EPG data to a file -
> it reads it directly into a Python variable in memory.  It processes
> that data and normally writes it out to stdout to pass it on to the
> mythfilldatabase process that called tv_grab_nz.py.  There seems to be
> an option to get it to write the data to a file instead of to stdout,
> and another option ("cache") to get it to write the data to a file and
> to stdout.  But I have never used either option.
>
> In fact, I do not use tv_grab_nz.py in the standard manner at all
> myself.  I have to generate EPG for my Sky channels, so I actually run
> a script that uses wget to get the Freeview EPG and also runs epgsnoop
> to get the Sky EPG.  It stores both in /var/www/epg so that other PCs
> that do TV recording on my network can download the EPG files from the
> web server on my MythTV box, and then runs mythfilldatabase.
> Mythfilldatabase runs modified versions of tv_grab_nz.py that get
> their EPG files from the MythTV box web server, one for the FreeviewHD
> source and one for the SkyNZ source.  I run the script that does this
> from a cron job once a day at 15:10.
>
> I think we need to check some basics:
>
> 1) Is the version of tv_grab_nz-py you are running the latest 0.2.6
> one?  If not, get the latest from here:
>
>   http://nice.net.nz/tv_grab_nz-py/
>
> 2) Have you placed the tv_grab_nz-py file in /usr/local/bin/ ?
>
> 3) Have you set the permissions on tv_grab_nz-py to allow execution by
> mythfilldatabase when it is running under user/group mythtv?
>
> 4) What is the name of the source you are using for the Freeview
> channels?  There should be a file in the home directory of the user
> that runs mythfilldatabase that specifies the channels.  It is in the
> ~/.mythtv directory and is named <your source name>.xmltv.  Because I
> run my mythfilldatabase from a script run by user stephen, mine is
> /home/stephen/.mythtv/FreeviewHD.xmltv, but yours may be in
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv - I am not sure where it goes when you are
> running tv_grab_nz-py from mythfilldatabase in the normal manner. What
> is the contents of yours?
>
> 5) Have you changed the SOURCES declaration at the head of the
> tv_grab_nz-py file to this:
>
> SOURCES = (
>     'http://epg.org.nz/freeview.xml.gz',
> )
>
> 6) Have you checked the spelling of the grabber specified for the
> Freeview source.  This SQL will show you the setup of your sources:
>
>   select * from videosource;
>
> and this will show which source or sources are configured to actually
> be used:
>
>   select distinct sourceid from cardinput;
>
> When people have been having problems configuring things and have
> tried multiple times, there can be multiple sources configured, which

1) tv_grab_nz-py  0.2.6
2) in /usr/local/bin
3) Permissions were owner:root group: root I have changed it to owner:root
group:myth (my user)
3) I have no file with an .xmltv extension in /home/myth/.mythtv  there is
config.xml and tv_grab_nz-py.conf and mysql.txt
4) SOURCES = (
      'http://epg.org.nz/freeview.xml.gz',
  )

6) source should be called freeview   Pardon my ignorance but how do you
do this SQL thing?

7) Nothing stood out in the output of that command,no errors,fails etc.

Cheers

Paul