[mythtvnz] Help-can't get grabber and mythfilldatabase to work right

Tony Sauri hoiho.nz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 03:00:44 BST 2013

On 28/04/13 11:24, Paulgir wrote:

>>> You can try running the EPG update manually.  Run a terminal and login
>>> as the user that runs mythfrontend.  Download the EPG file with wget
>>> and uncompress it with gzip -d.  Then run:
>>>
>>>   mythfilldatabase --help
>>>
>>> to see all the options for running it.  I think this is what is
>>> needed:
>>>
>>>   mythfilldatabase --update --file --sourceid 1 --xmlfile <path to the
>>> xml file>
>>>
>>> It is a while and two MythTV versions since I last had to do this, so
>>> the options have changed a bit.  If your sourceid is not 1, change
>>> that to the correct value.  When run like that, I think the log will
>>> go to the terminal, so you might want to add:
>>>
>>>   2>&1 >mythfilldatabase.log
>>>
>>> and possibly:
>>>
>>>   --loglevel debug
>>>
>>> Does that work?  Are there any errors?
>>>
>> That works! no errors that I can see and 8 days of data in the
>> schedule.System info page tags the update as successful.
>> -Paul
>
> So what is different between the grabber getting the data and me doing
> it manually?
> In what folder does the grabber create the EPG file?
> I don't appear to get any file not found errors in the mythfilldatabase
> terminal output.
>
> -Paul

When you run mythfilldatabase in a terminal it uses the grabber config
file from _YOUR_ home directory.

In my case (userid tartarus) the file is at:

	/home/tartarus/.mythtv/Freeview}HD.xmltv

In my case again Mythbackend runs under the userid of  mythtv
so it looks for the config file at
	/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Freeview|HD.xmltv

It is normal to copy or better symlink the file so it is available at
both locations thus giving you the opportunity to run it manually or let
mythbackend automatically run it daily.

Once again in my case  to help you identify theconfig file the contents
of the file look like this:

channel!basefm.freeviewnz.tv
channel=c4.freeviewnz.tv
channel=choice.freeviewnz.tv