[mythtvnz] hdhomerun doesn't connect on restart when connected directly to the lan port

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Apr 28 01:59:41 BST 2013

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 08:57:59 +1200, you wrote:

>I will try this.
>I think Nick was was trying to retain the possibility of easy wired
>connectivity to my modem/router should I need it.
>So, does the new config eliminate that?
>
>Paul

It was my suggested config originally too, not Nick's.  My experience
with DHCP servers says they should be able to assign the IP address to
the interface they are talking to, as well as addresses requested
using that interface.  But I have never actually used the ISC DHCP
server on Linux - my DHCP server has to run on my Windows PC due to my
network topology, and it also has a static IP address assigned to the
interface.  When I tested the first config on my laptop, it did not
work and it was likely to take quite a while to work out why, so I
tried the second one with a manual IP address on eth0 and since that
worked, I suggested it.  Both configs are of the same level of
flexibility, but in the second one, you have to adjust two different
places to change the addressing (the DHCP config and the main network
config), so the first version would have been preferred had it worked.