[mythtvnz] Help-can't get grabber and mythfilldatabase to work right

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Apr 25 06:16:04 BST 2013

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:50:08 +1200, you wrote:

>>> I've looked at the logs - nothing there that gives me any idea why
>>> mythfilldatabase does not work.
>>> 2013-04-20 16:24:05.656260 E FillData: xmltv returned error code 2
>>>  2013-04-20 16:24:05.656759 E Error in 1:1: unexpected end of file
>>>
>>> What file?
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> That message normally indicates that the XML in the uncompressed xmltv
>> file is invalid.  The XML parsing has tried to read more from the file
>> and has not found the right data and has read beyond the end of file.
>> This does occasionally happen when something goes wrong on the web
>> server with the creation of the EPG file, as might well have happened
>> if it got caught by the same power cut as you.  But you already looked
>> at the uncompressed data and it seemed OK, so I am not sure.  Usually,
>> when there are problems like this, they are fixed by the next time you
>> download the EPG the next day, and you should still have 6 days of EPG
>> stored so it is usually not a problem.
>>

>This problem predates the power outage.The grabber has never worked from
>installation on Saturday.I have attempted mythfilldatabase operations
>everyday since then.
>
>Paul

You can try running the EPG update manually.  Run a terminal and login
as the user that runs mythfrontend.  Download the EPG file with wget
and uncompress it with gzip -d.  Then run:

  mythfilldatabase --help

to see all the options for running it.  I think this is what is
needed:

  mythfilldatabase --update --file --sourceid 1 --xmlfile <path to the
xml file>

It is a while and two MythTV versions since I last had to do this, so
the options have changed a bit.  If your sourceid is not 1, change
that to the correct value.  When run like that, I think the log will
go to the terminal, so you might want to add:

  2>&1 >mythfilldatabase.log

and possibly:

  --loglevel debug

Does that work?  Are there any errors?