[mythtvnz] hdhomerun doesn't connect on restart when connected directly to the lan port

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 14:06:22 BST 2013

>> I carried out Stephen's suggestion: adding a waiting period to
>> mythtv-backend.conf:
>>
>> # MythTV Backend service
>>
>> description     "MythTV Backend"
>> author          "Mario Limonciello <superm1 at ubuntu.com>"
>>
>> start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo and started
>> udev-finish)
>> stop on runlevel [016]
>>
>> #expect fork
>> respawn
>> respawn limit 2 3600
>>
>> pre-start script
>>     [ -x /usr/sbin/mysqld ] || exit 0
>>     for i in `seq 1 30` ; do
>>        /usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf ping &&
>> exit 0
>>        sleep .5
>>     done
>> end script
>>
>> script
>>         test -f /etc/default/locale && . /etc/default/locale || true
>> sleep 10
>>         LANG=$LANG /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv
>> end script
>>

>> Seems to work ok
>> Paul
>
> Ok, that verifies what the problem is.  With timing problems like
> this, just adding a delay is not always entirely reliable.  It may
> work most of the time, but if something happens that upsets the
> timing, then the problem may occur again, occasionally.  And remember
> that you will get the extra delay every time you start or restart
> mythbackend, which may get annoying (eg after running mythtv-setup).
>
> I think the best solution long term would be to make both your eth0
> port and the HDHomerun use static IP addresses, if the HDHomerun can
> do that.  Static IP addresses prevent most timing problems.  Or run a
> DHCP server on the Myth box configured to serve addresses to eth0.

Ok,just a clarification needed.In the network connections gui for mythbuntu
there are 6 options under method:
Automatic (DCHP)
Automatic (DCHP) addresses only
Manual
Link-Local only
Shared to other computers.
Disabled

I assumed Manual was for static IP addresses - am I correct?
I had that method set ,it did not seem to help.

I had set the address as 169.254.1.10 subnet mask: 255.255.0.0 gateway:
0.0.0.0
and that worked.
when did hdhomerun_config discover I got : hdhomerun device found at
169.254.227.211    should I use that address?

Also do I need to set anything for eth0 as I use wifi for all other
connections?

While I'm about it: another observation I have made since putting the
wait period in mythtv-backend.conf is that I used to always get a
message dialogue after mythfrontend started when the box booted from
cold. "Could not connect to mythbackend.Is myth backend running?"
This was not a problem as the back was actually running clicking ok
was all I needed to do BE probably started just after the message was
generated.
Since I added the delay I don't get that dialogue anymore.
I used to get the same message on my 11.10 installation too.

Paul