[mythtvnz] hdhomerun doesn't connect on restart when connected directly to the lan port

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 03:41:06 BST 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm slowly getting the bugs sorted out. Only two left that I am aware of.
> This one is regarding communication with the HDHR.I thought I had it
> sorted on Saturday.
> The only way I could get the HDHR to work on ethernet port was to set the
> network connections
> ipv4 settings to manual , no MAC address and 196.254.1.10 ; 255.255.0.0 ;
> 0.0.0.0 for the ip netmask and gateway settings.
> It seemed to be reliable but since a power outage upset things I can only
> get it to work in a haphazard fashion.
>
> in Mythbackend the capture cards screen is set to use the device IDs:
>  11111EB-0 / 11111EB-1
>
> I tried the suggestions from Nick Rout in this forum thread :
> http://ubuntuforums.org/**showthread.php?t=2062279<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2062279>
>
> These are the symptoms: (from the forum post)
>
> " Nothing records and when you go to watch tv it tries to work then boots
> you back to the main menu. Also, the light on the hdhomerun that turns
> solid when it is connected, instead of being solid, continues to blink.
> After running hdhomerun_config and restarting mythtv-backend recording
> works as does watching live tv and the light on the hdhomerun stays turns
> solid green and stays that way until the next time the computer is
> rebooted."
>
> My network indicator says connected and HDHomerun set up talks to the
> device.
>
> The original poster did not mark the thread solved and Nick's suggestion
> won't work for me.

It's quite likely that the network connection between the backend machine
and the HDHR is not up when mythbackend is started. Link local ddresses
take a while to acquire as the HDHR will be timing out trying to find a
DHCP server first. But if you provided us with some logs it would be easier
to say.

Basic troubleshooting=logs.

I still haven't figured out why you insist on putting the HDHR on a
separate subnet, but if you insist on doing so why don't you run a dhcp
server and give out a real IP address to the HDHR?