[mythtvnz] Storage drive won't mount

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Apr 24 03:10:08 BST 2013

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 07:23:00 +1200, you wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:13:50 +1200, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>> Panasonic Viera
>>
>> The first digital TV I used with MythTV was a Panasonic Viera with the
>> lower "HD Ready" resolution.  It was not a good experience, as its
>> EDID data was actually incorrect in places and I never found any way
>> to turn off the silly overscan it did.  So when I wanted to upgrade to
>> a "Full HD" 1920x1080 TV, I did some research and found that Sony TVs
>> at the time had a reputation of being much more well behaved.  I got a
>> Sony Bravia KDL-32V5500, which I have been pretty happy with.  When
>> connected to a PC, it does not do overscan, and I was able to remove
>> all my xorg.conf tricks and just let the EDID data do its job.  The
>> only real complaint I have about the Sony is that when it turns on its
>> screen, or when it changes screen mode, it displays overlayed data for
>> quite some time that interferes with seeing the picture.  I have not
>> found any way to turn off the overlays, but I can get rid of them
>> manually with the remote by pushing the "Options" button twice.
>>
>My TV is one of the "HD Ready" types too,but I have never had any problems
>with overscan.  -That I'm aware of. How did those problems manifest
>themselves?

The overscan was most obvious on the GUI screens - there were things
that were off the edge of the screen, or uncomfortably close.  On TV
pictures overscan is less noticeable - I just get one of those
uncomfortable "something is wrong" feelings.  The MythTV GUI has a
setup screen where it displays a marker in each corner so you can
check for overscan and adjust the display.  Setup->Screen Setup
Wizards.  When I first went into that screen on my Panasonic, I could
not see any of the corner marker at all as the overscan had it
completely off screen, and it took me a long while to work out how
that screen worked.

>I always use the power switch on the TV. So when it is off it is unpowered.
>
>The system I use is that I have a hardware timer on the mythtv box that
>comes.
>On at 18:00 each day if I am not at home to start recording the evening
>selections.
>The BIOS on the box is set to boot on power up.The hardware timer has a
>manual
>override that allows me to turn on the box anytime.I have a crontab entry
>to shutdown the system and poweroff the box at 04:00,that the hardware
>timer
>disconnects the power at 04:10.
>There is another hardware timer for the TV which comes on at 17:55 just
>before the
>mythbox boots,so that the tv is on before the box.I set that to auto when
>I know
>I won't be home,but sometimes I forget to set it to auto.
>I do it this way because of I have a lot of power cuts  here,mainly during
>the day
>and I prefer not to have power on sensitive devices 24/7.The power often
>resumes in
>messy fashion and can go on and off several times in minutes.This is
>northwest
>Auckland and the wonderful deregulated power system Key was referring to
>recently.
>No huddling around a candle for us like we did in the seventies.Well no
>more than
>a dozen times a year,anyway.

Ouch, I had no idea it was that bad anywhere in NZ.  Here in
Palmerston North, we are unlucky if we get one power failure a year.
But then we are able to get power from across Cook Strait.  That stops
just a bit north of us.

Given that setup, I would have a good look at the options for copying
the EDID data to hard disk and using that instead of getting it from
the TV.  I think the option you need is:

  Option "CustomEDID" "string"

Take a look in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-current/html/xconfigoptions.html.
Depending on which Nvidia drivers you are using, the "nvidia-current"
bit might be "nvidia-current-updates" or something similar.  The
nvidia-settings program can save the EDID data for you.  On its
screen, select the page under your GPU that is named for your TV, and
the "Acquire EDID" button should be on the bottom right.

>I will look into that.In the meantime I tried your suggestion of
>Ctrl-Alt-F1
>to login as root and found the from the password prompt Ctrl-Alt-Del
>will reboot the system.
>This should be a gentle enough reboot to avoid any trouble,shouldn't it?

I have never tried Ctrl-Alt-Del from there - I had no idea it would
work.  I imagine it would do the same reboot as the reboot command,
which would be fine.