[mythtvnz] Storage drive won't mount

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 15:12:16 BST 2013

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 23:25:09 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:40:14 +1200, you wrote:
>

>> I had a power cut here about an hour ago and when the system rebooted I
>> got a message: problem mounting /var/lib/mythtv
>> I have /var/lib/mythtv on a 1TB drive.And the OS on a 160 GB drive.
>> The drive is ok according to the disk utility.SMART data is good ran
>> benchmark sucessfully.
>> sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /var/lib/mythtv gives a wrong fs error.fstab looks
>> fine.
>>
>> Any suggestions what to do?
>> Or how to temporarily revert to /var/lib mythtv on sda1?
>> I tried sudo umount /var/lib/mythtv but it tells me /var/lib/mythtv is
>> not
>> mounted   -of course.
>> Actually I think it has reverted by itself because it is recording to
>> some
>> directory.
>> Any ideas how to get my 1TB drive mounting again?
>>
>> Paul
>
> I have seen that error on JFS partitions when the partition was dirty
> and needed the journal to be re-run against it after a crash.  It
> should be fixed if you run:
>
>   fsck -C -f /dev/sdb1
>
> The -C just gets it to tell you what it is doing so you can see how
> long you are going to have to wait.  The -f forces a full check of the
> partition.
>
> Since I am paranoid about corrupted filesystems, whenever I have a
> power failure or crash like yours, I always reboot into the repair
> boot option - I forget what it is called exactly, but it is the next
> line down in the Grub menu below the usual boot.  It boots in single
> user mode, and provides a list of options for repairing things.  I
> select the fsck one and let it run fsck on all partitions.  Then I
> feel safe to reboot normally.

Ok, that did not work, but I have more info,here's the messages I get
when attempting to mount the drive and running fsck:

myth at myth:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /var/lib/mythtv
[sudo] password for myth:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
        dmesg | tail  or so

myth at myth:~$ fsck -C -f /dev/sdb1
fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
fsck: fsck.jfs: not found
fsck: error 2 while executing fsck.jfs for /dev/sdb1
myth at myth:~$

Is this telling me that I need to install fsck.jfs or is it saying
something else?

Paul