[mythtvnz] Storage drive won't mount

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 14:47:46 BST 2013

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 23:25:09 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:40:14 +1200, you wrote:
>

>> I had a power cut here about an hour ago and when the system rebooted I
>> got a message: problem mounting /var/lib/mythtv
>> I have /var/lib/mythtv on a 1TB drive.And the OS on a 160 GB drive.
>> The drive is ok according to the disk utility.SMART data is good ran
>> benchmark sucessfully.
>> sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /var/lib/mythtv gives a wrong fs error.fstab looks
>> fine.
>>
>> Any suggestions what to do?
>> Or how to temporarily revert to /var/lib mythtv on sda1?
>> I tried sudo umount /var/lib/mythtv but it tells me /var/lib/mythtv is
>> not
>> mounted   -of course.
>> Actually I think it has reverted by itself because it is recording to
>> some
>> directory.
>> Any ideas how to get my 1TB drive mounting again?
>>
>> Paul
>
> I have seen that error on JFS partitions when the partition was dirty
> and needed the journal to be re-run against it after a crash.  It
> should be fixed if you run:
>
>   fsck -C -f /dev/sdb1
>
> The -C just gets it to tell you what it is doing so you can see how
> long you are going to have to wait.  The -f forces a full check of the
> partition.
>
> Since I am paranoid about corrupted filesystems, whenever I have a
> power failure or crash like yours, I always reboot into the repair
> boot option - I forget what it is called exactly, but it is the next
> line down in the Grub menu below the usual boot.  It boots in single
> user mode, and provides a list of options for repairing things.  I
> select the fsck one and let it run fsck on all partitions.  Then I
> feel safe to reboot normally.

Thanks Stephen

Yes it is JFS and the disk utility did state that it was not clean.
As for  your second suggestion,my system does not usually show the grub
menu as it boots.
I seem to recall that hitting the shift key or something during boot will
bring it up.

On another subject regarding booting, If the system boots with the TV
turned off the graphics
card  doesn't get any information about the display type and consequently
I get no image
on the screen.I usually wait and when there is no disk activity shown by
the drive LED,
hit the reset button but I don't really like to have to do that.
Is there another method (without being able to see a display) to get the
graphics to restart?
I've tried to blindly step back to the shutdown option with <esc> and the
down arrow key,but
that never works.
I am assuming of course that the keyboard is functional at this point.

-Paul