[mythtvnz] TeVii S421

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Apr 15 07:09:11 BST 2013

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:40:34 +1200, you wrote:

>Update on my S421 problems: dvbtune now works, and outputs all the station
>info XML stuff. However, 'scan' will not tune. As noted by Stephen Worthington,
>no firmware was loaded during boot, and this is the case even after a cold
>boot. The card state is wrongly detected and reported in dmesg as 'warm'. I
>assume this is why 'scan' gets nowhere.  Probably an issue to be fixed by the
>driver maintainers, but if anyone has any ideas...

Not all drivers actually report loading of firmware.  It may actually
be loading it but just not saying so.  I have had problems with
getting scan to tune my TeVii S470.  So I normally use dvbtune to do
the tuning, and use scan in the mode where it uses an already tuned
card.  Here is my freeview-satellite-scan.sh script to show how I do
it:

#!/bin/bash

# Scan all Freeview satellite frequencies for channel information.

# Transponder frequencies (Hz)
declare -a DVB_S_FREQS=(12456000 12483000)
declare -a FREQS=${DVB_S_FREQS[*]}

# Adapter number of DVB-S / DVB-S2 card.
ADAPTER=3

# LNB frequency (Hz)
LNB_FREQ=10750000

# Symbol rate
SYMBOL_RATE=22500

# Output file to store the results of the scan.
OUTPUT_FILE=freeview_satellite_scan.txt

if [ -e "$OUTPUT_FILE" ] && [ -f "$OUTPUT_FILE" ] ; then
    rm "$OUTPUT_FILE"
fi

for a in ${FREQS[*]}; do
    echo "[[Tuning to $a Hz]]" | tee -a "$OUTPUT_FILE"
    dvbtune -f $(($a-$LNB_FREQ)) -s $SYMBOL_RATE -p h -c $ADAPTER
-tone 0
    scan-s2 -c -q -a $ADAPTER | tee -a $OUTPUT_FILE
done

Note that I use scan-s2 instead of scan but scan should work with
those parameters.