[mythtvnz] recommendations for HTPC

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 09:45:05 BST 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Mark George <
mgeorge at infoscience.otago.ac.nz> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I recently upgraded from a 720p screen to a 1080p and my old EEEBox EB1012
> (first gen ION chipset) is struggling to play 1080p video smoothly even
> with all deinterlacing off.
>
> So I guess I need a new HTPC for the frontend.  I haven't been following
> hardware much over the last few years so am not sure what works well with
> MythTV/XBMC and what doesn't.
>
> My requirements are:
>
>   - Works with Mythbuntu with minimal effort.
>
>   - HDMI out.
>
>   - Optical audio out.  My current receiver doesn't have HDMI support.  If
> I had to I could update my receiver but only if I knew the HTPC could do
> out-of-the-box 5.1 HDMI audio.  I didn't have a lot of luck with 5.1 HDMI
> audio on the current EEEBox.
>
>   - Able to do smooth 1080p playback with deinterlacing.
>
>   - Small form factor, ideally with a vertical stand so I can sit it
> behind the TV.
>
>   - Quiet.
>
> Apart from the smooth 1080p video my current EEEBox can do all this.  It
> is a shame that the ION line of HTPCs seems to have died out since an
> upgraded version of what I have would be perfect.
>
> What do you recommend?

My ION2 boxes do a good job. REVO R3700. It has optical spdif out too.  I
bought them on trademe but you have to wait for a good price. Those selling
for $900 are asking silly money. I have not paid more than about $450.

ZOTAC's latest boxes have an inbuilt nvidia 610 or 620, and are reputedly
good, dunno if available in NZ.

My cheapest box however was I bought a GT520 fanless card for $80 -
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=531670969 and put it in a
$50 HP SFF DC7100 box -
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=530648092. Installed
mythbuntu 12.04 and updated, added XBMC and plugged into HDMI port of TV.
All works fine. Although on second thoughts, no optical audio. I have used
external spdif/usb devices successfully with myth and xbmc though.