[mythtvnz] NVIDIA 3.04.x Driver

Mike Brady mike.brady at devnull.net.nz
Sat Sep 8 23:05:59 BST 2012

Quoting Mike Brady <mike.brady at devnull.net.nz>:

> Quoting Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 15:48:41 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>>> I just made the mistake of of doing a yum update on my Fedora 17
>>> frontend.  One of the updates was to the nvidia driver (295.59 to
>>> 304.37).
>>>
>>> I have always just followed the instructions for the "Basic Scenario"
>>> at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree by putting
>>>
>>>        Option      "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
>>>
>>> in my xorg.conf in the past, but NVIDIA have kindly removed this
>>> option and now I get judder in the playback for bluray rips as the TV
>>> gets set to 1920x1080 at 60Hz instead of 24Hz.
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me in the right direction on what options I should be
>>> using instead?  I have been looking at the whole metamodes viewport
>>> thing and I don't get it.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> I am using the 304.43 Nvidia drivers on my Mythbuntu 12.04 setup, and
>> I just checked and I have the same problem.  But the documentation
>> still lists the "Scaling" option, and it is a pretty important
>> feature, so I am hoping that this is just a bug and will eventually be
>> fixed.  But maybe we should be filing a bug report with Nvidia.

> I believe that the option is permanently gone.  From the 302.07
> release notes (which was when the option was removed)
>
> "Removed Flat Panel Scaling configurability in nvidia-settings. Any
> desired scaling can be configured through the new "ViewPortIn" and
> "ViewPortOut" MetaMode attributes."
>
> I am wondering if this setting was actually masking a problem with
> my set up in that it could be ignoring the EDID data and just
> sending whatever it had to the TV to sort out.  My frontend is
> connected to my receiver, not my TV and I have seen X report that it
> has no EDID data, but I need to look at that some more.

After much searching and a bit a trial and error, I believe that I
have everything working with the 304.37 driver.

With the 295.59 driver my xorg.conf looked like this:

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         Option      "HWCursor" "false"
         Option      "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
EndSection

With the 304.37 driver it now looks like this:

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         Option      "HWCursor" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier    "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier    "Screen0"
   Monitor       "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth  24
   Option        "metamodes" "DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select;"
   SubSection "Display"
     Depth       24
   EndSubSection
EndSection

In both cases this is the complete file.

This is a really simple case in that I am not doing any scaling or
having to deal with any overscan issues.  To deal with scaling and
overscan you will need to look at the ViewPortIn and ViewPortOut
parameters for the metamodes option.

There are a number of posts around covering all this stuff.  The most
useful one for me was
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=187657.