[mythtvnz] Still getting the wrong channel - log weirdness

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 06:10:32 GMT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com>wrote:

> mythweb is talks channum not chanid, but that is OK I can sort that out.
>  Why is there a channum and chanid?

"chanid" is the unique identifier of the channel on a particular source.
It's a private value within a particular MythTV installation and is
generally not visible to the user.

"channum" is a user-visible numeric identifier of the channel. It is used
only to select the channel by number in live TV (and it's displayed in
various places). It doesn't need to be unique, in fact you would typically
want the same channum for a particular channel on each source. You might
need to use the same channel numbers as other systems (e.g. Sky). The
system should work fine without a channum, though it'll be a little more
difficult to jump to the channel in live TV).

"callsign" is a another user-visible identifier of the channel. It's very
similar to channum in that it should be the same for a particular channel
on each source. The difference between callsign and channum is that
callsign is what the scheduler uses to identify a channel. I'm fairly
certain you must have a callsign on a channel in order to record it.

> I notice that RNZ (rnz-national.freeviewnz.tv) has no channum.  Should I
> add one?

If you are leaving the channel visible then it is probably better to add
one. Any number that isn't already used is fine. If you don't plan on using
the channel in live TV then it won't cause any problems if you leave it
blank.

I removed xmltvid from the channel with chanid == 2418 (it had no channum)

> I've checked all my other xmltvid and they seem t make sense.
>
> update channel set visible = 0 where mplexid is null and serviceid = 0;
> commit;
>
> Done that.  But what does the 'visible' field control?

"visible" controls whether the channel is active in the system (i.e.
whether it is visible). If this is 0 (unchecked) then the channel will not
appear in the program guide, cannot be selected in live TV, and is ignored
by the scheduler. Essentially the channel is treated as though it doesn't
exist. But since it's still in the channel table it won't be re-added by
mythtv-setup or the grabber.

If you want to use those radio channels you need to either fix them up with
the correct tuning data (which is relatively complex and not recommended),
or go into mythtv-setup, delete the existing copies of those channels, do a
scan to re-add them with the correct tuning data, and then put in the
correct the xmltvids for the newly added channels.

> I have noticed another problem
>
> channum is clearly what is displayed in live TV as I change channels.
>
> The display shows the channum and programme name and descriptin (but not
> the channel name interestingly).

This is controlled by the theme you are using. It might well be different
for other themes.

> But for channum 1301 and 1302 I have the same programme name and
> description.  They are for channel associated with channum 1301 (TV Four)

This is because chanid 2302 (TV3 + 1) still has the old incorrect guide
data it was loaded with when it had the wrong xmltvid. It should be
corrected next time the grabber runs. If it's going to cause problems
tonight you could run the grabber manually (just make sure you're using the
right config file).

Cheers,