[mythtvnz] Pixellation Every ~ 20 minutes

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 10:42:08 BST 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> In recording DVB-T, there is no encoding being done - the packets for
> that program's streams are just selected out of the full set of
> packets for the multiplex, and then they are written directly to disk.
> So the corruption would have to already be in the packets being read
> from the tuner (ie a reception problem), or in the software selecting
> and buffering the packets to write them to disk.  An overflow in the
> buffers waiting to be written is the most likely idea.

It does sound that way. But 20 minutes is quite a lot of buffering - it
must be a buffer in the hundreds of MB which really can only be the
filesystem buffer cache, right? What's the bit rate for SD programs on
Freeview HD btw?

But that
> should affect all tuners, or all tuners writing to that disk, not just
> your particular model of tuner.

If it were an internal buffer on the card (or a firmware bug) it could be
specific to a particular model. I'd try recording something directly from
the card (i.e. bypass Myth) to rule that out.

Cheers,