[mythtvnz] Current graphics card recommendations

Michael West michael at iposs.co.nz
Sat Oct 13 23:24:10 BST 2012

On Sunday, 14 October 2012 10:16 a.m. Steven Ellis wrote:
>On Sat, October 13, 2012 10:35 pm, Michael West wrote:

>>>Are any of these single slot?
>>>
>>>A lot of the newer cards are still dual slot which is a pain for
>>>smaller  already rather full cases.
>>>
>>>Steve
>>
>> The GT 650 they sent me first was a dual slot but I think many GT
>> 620's are single slot.  The GV-N620D3-1GL I got is single slot and I
>> have it mounted right next to my HVR-2200 fine but it may restrict the
>> air flow a little.  Just checked and while playing Full HD with
>> advanced 2x etc the gpu reports 67C and the heatsink feels warm/hot
>> but not too bad.  It is dual slot if you use the included low profile
>> adapters unless you remove the VGA port.  Having the low profile
>> option can be good if you change case later.
>>
>> Most 610/620/630 cards are single slot it seems with maybe the
>> exception being some models with quite or passive Designs that take
>> two slots. GT
>> 640 or higher dual slot are more popular.
>>
>> Michael
>
>Most GT620 cards I've looked at online require the space of two slots due to the heatsink/fan combination. Thats why I asked.

Yeah having a look at a few manufacturers it is a bit 50/50 as to what you get.
Gigabyte is fine (this is the one I have).   There is only 2mm clearance for the fan to suck air in but it still works fine for me
EVGA have a single slot but it is not low profile
MSI does a single slot but they have two versions with the SAME model number and one version has a bigger heatsink/fan
Palit has a bigger heatsink that takes 2 slots
Asus has what looks a slightly bigger heatsink than Gigabyte and it may be a bit tight for single slot.  Hard to tell though.

Also remember that Low profile cards sometimes state 2 slots when they are referring to the Low profile adapter brackets so be careful to check.

Michael