[mythtvnz] Pixellation Every ~ 20 minutes

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 22:39:33 BST 2012

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 08:39:33 +1300, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2012 8:12 AM, "Paulgir" <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 20:39:58 +1300, David Lowe
>> <david at thistledown.co.nz> wrote:

>>> For what it's worth (probably not much...) I have been watching this
>>> thread closely for clues... last weekend >(the weekend some parts of
>>> the country went solely digital) something happened to my reception.
>>> I'm north of >Christchurch, reception a bit marginal at the best of
>>> times. I notice that since that weekend, all channels are >reporting a
>>> weaker signal; the Kordia multiplex being the worst and barely usable
>>> at 34%. Others are OK at 45%.
>>> I figure all I can do is erect the new high gain antenna sitting in
>>> the garage (along with the round tuit).
>>> But surely its no coincidence that the signal suddenly got weaker the
>>> same weekend analogue started to get >turned off?
>>>
>>> - David
>>

>> I have made some adjustments to my signal based on the suggestion that
>> too much signal may be upsetting the >tuners.
>>
>> My pixellation problem closely follows Curtis Walker's description:
>>
>> "On all TV recordings, after around 20 minutes, the picture starts
>> becoming pixellated. Over the next 30 or so >seconds it becomes more
>> and more pixellated until it looks like an impressionist painting. The
>> sound is >generally OK, but does have the odd, brief "glitch" (a noise
>> like a modem negotiating). After no more than a >minute, the picture
>> and sound suddenly return to normal."
>>
>> I'm about 55km from the Waiatarua transmitter and can't drive the TV
>> with an un-amplified signal so I have a >mast-head amp which has
>> adjustable gain and a 3 new 91 element antenna.I have had the gain set
>> to 30+ dB.
>> The TV never showed pixellation when using the internal tuner.
>>
>> The signal condition as displayed by the TV with the gain at 30+ dB is:
>>
>> TV3   570 MHz   Quality  8  signal 9
>> TVNZ  538 MHz   Quality  10 signal 10
>> Prime 666 MHz   Quality  10 signal 10
>>
>> The display goes to 10 ,so TVNZ and Prime are probably off the scale as
>> far as signal is concerned.
>>
>> On Friday I reduced the gain to around 20 dB the weather was fine with
>> light winds:
>>
>> TV3 570 MHz Quality 6 signal 6
>> TVNZ 538 MHz Quality 10 signal 10
>> Prime 666 MHz Quality 10 signal 9
>>
>> I seem to be getting less pixellation events on TV3 although they may
>> be longer in duration on TVNZ.
>>
>> Yesterday the weather was crap; rain and wind was moving the trees and
>> the antenna.
>>
>> TV3 570 MHz Quality fluctuates from 2 to 10 ;signal 4 to 6
>> TVNZ 538 MHz Quality 10 signal 9 to 10
>> Prime 666 MHz Quality 9 to 10 signal 8
>>
>> The TV's internal tuner was having trouble with TV3's signal - brief
>> picture freezes and pixellation.
>>
>> The MythTV reception,however, was better.TV3 was exhibiting,more
>> frequent,brief,1 or 2 second duration >pixellation, events that no
>> longer showed a steady 1 minute long degradation to a full
> [...]
The signal can't be attenuated independently with the current set-up,I
would need to get an inline attenuator which isn't a problem ,but I don't
have one here at the moment.

My 35 years as a radio/electronics service technician tells me that in a
hilly landscape, pointing directly at a UHF/VHF transmitter mast is not
necessarily going to get you the best result.As I don't have expensive
signal analysis equipment,I have to find the best orientation by trial and
error.Moving a UHF antenna 100mm horizontally can make a huge difference
in signal quality in some locations.

-Paul